This was a real rush job, a 19th Birthday Cake for my friend. The cake itself was actually very nice, but this was one of my first cake disasters. For some reason, the icing sort of melted of the cake and down the sides. It was very strange, when we opened the tin there was practically no icing left on top! So after a quick fix-up, it didn’t look half bad (but definitely not my normal standard).
My friend Jacob is a big Harry Potter fan, like me, so of course his cake had to be Harry Potter themed. I made a Gryffindor scarf, Harry’s glasses and Hedwig the Owl out of white fondant (dyed red and yellow for the scarf and black for the glasses), and the wand and broomstick out of marzipan that I dyed brown with cocoa powder.
Lemon Almond Yoghurt Cake
(from Gluten Free Goddess)
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 cup packed organic light brown sugar
- 5 medium free-range organic eggs
- 4 oz. light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup organic plain unsweetened yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest (fine grated peel) from 1 fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Frosting – I iced this cake with lemon cream cheese frosting and decorated with fondant/marzipan shapes.
- 80g cream cheese, softened
- 30g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice (be liberal with this, add to taste)
Beat the cream cheese and butter together with an electric mixer in a small bowl. Gradually add sifted icing sugar and lemon juice, and beat until combined.