After kick-starting the blog, I obviously needed to do some baking. I spent most of today bookmarking tons of yummy-looking recipes, yet after hours of this, all I felt like baking (and eating) were these cupcakes – which are one of my old favourite recipes. These cupcakes are super easy and quick to make, very tasty, and always a hit.
(Please excuse my poor photography, I’m only a beginner and I was using my cellphone…)
Quick-Mix Chocolate Cupcakes
Source: Women’s Weekly: Easy Cupcakes By Colour
Makes approximately 15 (I firmly believe the original recipe lied. I have made these countless times and there is always far more mix. This batch made 12 regular sized cupcakes, 12 mini ones and still had about 1 tablespoon of mixture left, so I recommend having extra cupcake cases).
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 185g butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line 2 cupcake trays (have extras on hand) with paper or silicone cupcake cases.
- Sift the dry ingredients together, then add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, then increase speed to medium and mix until smooth and paler in colour.
- Fill each case 3/4 of the way with mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in trays for 5 minutes, before turning out to cool completely on a wire rack.
- When completely cool, ice if desired.
I iced this batch with a simple chocolate icing and topped each one with an M&M, although any type of frosting and decorating would be suitable.
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Hot water
- Sift the cocoa and icing sugar into a medium sized bowl.
- Add hot water, stirring, until smooth, spreadable and glossy. If it gets too runny, add extra icing sugar.
- Spread with a palette knife/butter knifre onto cupcakes. If desired, use a piping bag and nozzle of your choice to pipe onto cupcakes as opposed to spreading.
- Top with decoration of your choice, and eat!
I hope you enjoy these, everyone I’ve made them for have. First recipe, over and out!